At 10:06 AM 10/13/2008, Daron Wilson wrote:

>I've rebuilt a pile of those duplexers, it is just bench work to
>disassemble them, clean them and reassemble.  Most of my rack
>mounted stuff is black, and I like that, so I usually spray paint
>the components of the cans when I have them apart with black gloss
>spray paint, taping up the holes so no paint gets inside the
>can.  Then I buff and clean the inside of the cans as I reassemble
>them.  I've not ever noticed any change in response after rattle can
>painting the outside of the cans.
>
>On the same product, does anyone know the specific difference in the
>5 mHz spread and the 3 mHz spread versions of these duplexers?  I
>picked one up and the notch appears to be only tunable about 3 megs
>from the pass frequency, is this a simple change in the notch loop
>or something?  I'd like to use it on a 5 mHz split.

<----I agree about the painting. I don't see where you can get into
any problems as long as the connectors, tuning shaft and loop slides
(and slots in the cavity walls) are masked off.

As for the 3 megs thing, remember a few years back where I had
problems with a newly acquired T1504A that wouldn't quite make the 5
meg notch? It turned out that someone had repaired a notch loop and
left a very large solder fillet that effectively made the loop
electrically shorter. I cleaned up the eccess solder and voila! 5 meg
notch once more.

So my thought is that the coupling and notch loops are longer on a 5
meg split one than a 3 meg.

Ken
President and CTO - Arcom Communications
Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
http://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave and
we offer complete repeater packages!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net
"We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"