The loop that is mounted in the round holes determines the notch spread.  One
hole is 5MHZ or more the other hole is 5Mhz or less.   The loop in the slotted
hole  is for fine tuning within the preset range.   Refer to T1500 manual on
RBwebsite.
--
Doug
N3DAB/WPRX486/WPJL709

---- Ken Arck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

=============
At 10:06 AM 10/13/2008, Daron Wilson wrote:

>I've rebuilt a pile of those duplexers, it is just bench work to
>disassemble them, clean them and reassemble.  Most of my rack
>mounted stuff is black, and I like that, so I usually spray paint
>the components of the cans when I have them apart with black gloss
>spray paint, taping up the holes so no paint gets inside the
>can.  Then I buff and clean the inside of the cans as I reassemble
>them.  I've not ever noticed any change in response after rattle can
>painting the outside of the cans.
>
>On the same product, does anyone know the specific difference in the
>5 mHz spread and the 3 mHz spread versions of these duplexers?  I
>picked one up and the notch appears to be only tunable about 3 megs
>from the pass frequency, is this a simple change in the notch loop
>or something?  I'd like to use it on a 5 mHz split.

<----I agree about the painting. I don't see where you can get into
any problems as long as the connectors, tuning shaft and loop slides
(and slots in the cavity walls) are masked off.

As for the 3 megs thing, remember a few years back where I had
problems with a newly acquired T1504A that wouldn't quite make the 5
meg notch? It turned out that someone had repaired a notch loop and
left a very large solder fillet that effectively made the loop
electrically shorter. I cleaned up the eccess solder and voila! 5 meg
notch once more.

So my thought is that the coupling and notch loops are longer on a 5
meg split one than a 3 meg.

Ken
President and CTO - Arcom Communications
Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
http://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave and
we offer complete repeater packages!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net
"We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"