My ham radio club is ready to replace our 440 repeater. I have read the
spec/data sheets on the Icom IC FR-4000 and the Kenwood TKR-850.

Here are my questions:
Are these among the best modern repeaters available?
Is one or the other superior?
Is there a different repeater you would prefer or recommend?
What good/bad experience have you had with the Icom or Kenwood (or with
related products)?
Are there specific brands or models to avoid?

Information that might be relevant: The repeater will be in a standard
19-inch rack mount cabinet. It will be inside, not exposed to the
elements. It can be used with or without a power amplifier (5W in, 90W
out). I would like the power out to be near the 90W. The frequency pair
has 5MHz separation. TX is on 448.375MHz; RX on 443.375MHz. The duplexer
is a Motorola T1504A

I would appreciate the benefit of your experience. Thanks.

John Transue, Trustee
Vienna Wireless Society
Vienna, VA