Our club budgeted for a Kenwood 750 repeater to replace an RCA TAC-200 mobile
repeater we have had in service for 15 years.  Replacing it was deemed
necessary since repair parts are no longer available.

I objected to this replacement from the start, wanting to put another GE Mastr
II base station repeater in service to replace the RCA.  I had no particular
reason to not want the Kenwood repeater, but since the club operates another GE
Mastr II base station repeater and our link radio is a GE Mastr II mobile with
the final PA removed, I wanted to keep all the equipment the same, and I know
that the GE equipment is reliable and performs well.

My main detractors were convinced that a 15 year old repeater could not
possibly work as well as a brand spanking new Kenwood 750.  I had to disagree,
saying that I thought the GE repeater would probably work better than the
Kenwood in our particular application.  We have a solar site, and the standby
current draw of the GE with the audio amp disabled was far less than the
standby current drawn by the Kenwood.  The repeater sensitivity was also called
into question as the Kenwood has better receiver specs than the GE.  However
the site has other radio equipment installed, and the site noise floor was not
going to allow full use of the Kenwood sensitivity anyway.

Long story short, I prevailed and we now have a GE Mastr II base station
repeater with an in-band link installed with our two repeaters linked and
operating as the club desired.  The club also owns a GE Mastr II mobile which
gives us a spare module for every part in the system except for the continuous
duty PAs for both repeaters.

The squelch mod has been performed on both repeaters giving slow squelch close
for weak signals to combat picket fence noise, but allowing a snappy squelch
closure for stronger signals without using audio delay modules.

I firmly believe that the money allocated for the repeater was better spent
buying a nice outdoor cabinet and new DB-224E antenna, and the $200 GE
outperforms the Kenwood 750.

For commercial applications I can see where the Kenwood provides a fast set-up
and easy programming for frequency and features, where these factors are
critical, but for amateur use where more time is available an older crystal
controlled repeater can easily outperform the newer repeaters.

If you are interested in this build, the progress was documented here:

http://sbarcnm.org/forum/index.php?topic=108.0

The new repeater and link has now been in service for several months, and is
performing very well.

73 - Jim  W5ZIT