I've had experience with both as when we installed our 444.825
repeater we used an ICOM FR-4000.  It was set at 8w out to drive a PA
at 90w.  It had great receive sensitivity with a pre-amp at 449.825
MHz.  the only other transmitters at this site are 800 & 900 MHz, so
no pre-selector is used...yet.

We replaced the FR-4000 with a Kenwood 850 only because after 3 people
trying for an entire saturday afternoon, we couldn't get the FR-4000
to play with an SCOM 7K controller.  We had to use a CAT-250.  We
wanted to use the SCOM due to some particular features, so the
decision was made to replace the repeater with a Kenwood 850.

I still have the FR-4000 repeater which was purchased new for about
$1300.  If anyone is interested in purchasing it, we might let it go
since it has been sitting in its original box for the last 6-10
months.  If interested, email me off list at derekjmu at yahoo dot
com.  The CAT-250 controller is also available.

Both are good repeaters.  I prefer the Kenwood for simplicity, but the
ICOM is a solid machine and with 50w out may not require an external
PA in some applications.  Just don't plan to use a SCOM controller
with it.

KD4ADL

---