  From: Derek
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 8:55 PM
  Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Good Repeaters for UHF Ham Band

  I've had experience with both as when we installed our 444.825
  repeater we used an ICOM FR-4000. It was set at 8w out to drive a PA
  at 90w. It had great receive sensitivity with a pre-amp at 449.825
  MHz. the only other transmitters at this site are 800 & 900 MHz, so
  no pre-selector is used...yet.

  We replaced the FR-4000 with a Kenwood 850 only because after 3 people
  trying for an entire saturday afternoon, we couldn't get the FR-4000
  to play with an SCOM 7K controller. We had to use a CAT-250. We
  wanted to use the SCOM due to some particular features, so the
  decision was made to replace the repeater with a Kenwood 850.

  I still have the FR-4000 repeater which was purchased new for about
  $1300. If anyone is interested in purchasing it, we might let it go
  since it has been sitting in its original box for the last 6-10
  months. If interested, email me off list at derekjmu at yahoo dot
  com. The CAT-250 controller is also available.

  Both are good repeaters. I prefer the Kenwood for simplicity, but the
  ICOM is a solid machine and with 50w out may not require an external
  PA in some applications. Just don't plan to use a SCOM controller
  with it.

  KD4ADL

  ---