  From: william...@aol.com
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2008 11:41 PM
  Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Astron P/S question

  I have an Astron RM-35M (35Amp) that I just tested by shorting the output and
it doesn't blow the fuse.  I think I would be looking for something in the
primary circuit that might be shorting like the transformer primary or the
surge arrestor or maybe the wiring.  I have seen transformers that short after
they warm up a little.

  Bill - WA0CBW

  In a message dated 12/25/2008 10:11:11 P.M. Central Standard Time,
lar...@hotmail.com writes:
    --- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Kelsey" <wb2...@...>
    wrote:

    > I have an old Bullet power supply built from a kit (anyone remember
    those?)
    > that uses the 723. You can short the output time and time again and it
    > simply folds back.

    heheheh I have one of those still in service on a repeater.  Re-capped
    it a year ago and it still works fine.  As I recall a shorted output
    simply folds back, like you say.

    I also have two Astrons here on the bench.  One is a VS12, the other
    is a RS12.  When the output is directly shorted with heavy wire they
    both simply fold back.  Shorted them dozens of times; never a blown fuse.

    Laryn K8TVZ