I have had a 35-amp Astron on my workbench for years, and I can short
the red and black together quickly (which happens when you aren't fussy
about how many projects you have going at one time) and the supply will
shut down and NOT blow the fuse - This is an adjustable supply with both
voltage and current controls - I haven't tried it lately with the current
control at full, but I assume it would be the same.  I also haven't kept
the leads together for a long time, lately, but I do remember trying it
years ago just to see if it would hold down - and it did.

   Making the SCR fire is a black magic that shouldn't be misconstrued or
misunderstood this close to the winter solstice...

   Merry Christmas, everyone.