--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Radioman" <radio...@...>
wrote:

> Channel 2 may not go off the air on February 18. The entire NPRM is
here:
> http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-08-281A1.pdf
>
> Harry, W0OZL
>

> 1. The Short-term Analog Flash and Emergency Readiness Act ("Analog
> Nightlight Act" or
>
> "Act")1 requires the Commission to develop and implement a program
by
> January 15, 2009, to
>
> "encourage and permit" continued analog TV service after the
February 17,
> 2009 DTV transition date,
>
> where technically feasible, for the purpose of providing "public
safety
> information" and "DTV transition
>
> information" to viewers who may not obtain the necessary equipment
> receive digital broadcasts after
>
> the transition date. In this way, the continued analog service
would serve
> like a "nightlight" to unprepared
>
> viewers, assuring that these viewers continue to have access to
emergency
> information and guiding them
>
> with information to help them make a belated transition. This
Notice
> describes the procedures the
>
> Commission intends to follow to implement the Act; the nature of
the
> programming permitted by the Act;
>
> and the stations that are eligible to participate in the Analog
Nightlight

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Milt" <men...@...> wrote:

> A similar war story from back in the early 90's...Commercial
customer with a 35MHz base complaining of dramatically reduced
range.  Base and mobiles checked out fine, antenna system fine, just
trouble receiving the mobiles.  Dropping the PL with the antenna
connected I noticed what seemed to be a constant carrier.  A bit of
wandering about with a scanner using increasingly short lengths of
wire for antennas brought me to a nearby house.  The noise seemed to
be radiating on the telephone line and the power line.  The house was
a rental owned by the company with the radio so after proper contact
was made an inside sweep found the ... telephone answering
machine!?!?!?!

> The device was powered by a wall wart supply with an very long cord
(getting any clues yet?); which had recently come back from a repair
center.  The wall wart had a slightly audible hum.  A snap together
ferrite with as much of the excess power wiring wound onto the
ferrite as possible, and another ferrite on the telco line brought
the noise to a level that was not detectable at the base station.

> Milt
> N3LTQ

that was holding the machine Keyed up. then drop. and key up again. I
thought it was desense Even with a big expensive
>          Commercial Duplexer. with the transmitter off, the normal
unsquelched Hiss sounded Fine No noise that we could detect. after
weeks of this. We finally found out what the Problem was.  the 2
meter,and 440 machines next to it ran just fine.however They both had
an IRLP link on them.  The Noise problem turned out to be the
Router/switch.
>         The Noise it was creating was just at the threshold level
to Key and hold open the repeater.
>         BTW. The 6 meter machine was in PL  with a Tone of
67hz...... Not a good choice.
>          between the60 cycle noise of a bad wall wart for the
router switch and the noise it created.
>          might as well put a flea power transimitter with PL
sitting on the repeaters input.
>          changed the router swich and PL tome. and Problem wentt
away.
>         Verizon uses cheapo routers. we placed the new one in a
shielded box

>         Neal-KA2CAF

similar experience here at my location.
>             It is not on a repeater, but a simplex radio (vertex
VX3000l mobile) for a base on the natl Red Cross freq of 47 mhz.
>             In the daytime the receiver is quiet and hears fine.
>             It seems as about the time the sun starts going down,
the receiver's squelch opens and has a constant static noise for many
hours but still receives fine.
>             It may do it all night, I don't know, I haven't stayed
up to see, just leave the radio on and go to bed.
>             Was wondering if could be power line noise (but why
wouldn't do in daytime also)?
>             Is there any interference to the HF bands like this at
night?

>             Thanks,
>             Mike   KB5FLX
>
>           An old trick - if the on-time changes about 6 minutes a
day then it's light-dependent (i..e a photo-electric triggered yard
light).

>           In your shoes I'd power the radio from a gell-cell,
>           and then go flip breakers off one at a time.
>           That will tell you if the noise source is inside
>           the house, and if so, on which breaker.
>
>           Mike WA6ILQ

          Hi list....

    Something I haven't seen mntioned in regard to external noise
levels into repeaters is the National Digital Broadcast TV Conversion
from Analog TV and the frequency move to all UHF Digital that was
planned accordingly!

Not many Technicians are trained in DC pulse situations and
techniques that creat spectrum noise that will wipe out a repeater
input.  The vertical leading and trailing edges of a DC Pulse are
FULL of high frequency noise components and the top of the pulse
contains lots of low frequency noise components.

I'm retired from Western Union where they used to put DC pulses
routinely down local wire phone lines, when it didn't matter!  But
they had to convert to Audio signals with conversions at the ends
when Electronic Data Sets came into being, and Phone Company Linemen
got tired of 110 VDC shocks, then with multiplex conversions when the
number of data customers went up per line!!

With the growing number of FAX machines and modern data sets,
Western Union went out of busines in 1992, but sold the name
of "Western Union" to AT&T...

 A DC pulse has LOTS of wide frequency spectrum noise, with high
frequency harmonic components in the leading and trailing edges, and
low frequency components in the top of the pulse.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest, and from the Portland, Oregon area I
have reports that the spectrum noise level has increased 20db from
what it used to be!  I can also listen to the repeaters and hear it
comming through, where others not so trained don't reconise it.

With TV Broadcasting and both Commercial and ham repeaters spread out
over the length of Portland's West Hills, this has wiped out some ham
repeater inputs in that area!

In addition, with the Digital Conversion, the origional 350 to 475
Megawatt Analog TV output power per station has been raised to 750
and more!!  That means a GREAT amount of noise power!!

We can't stop the Digital Conversion, but it's results are something
to think about!!

As it is, according to Industry Scources, the new President will
appoint a new FCC Chairman.  A while back Congress reassigned TV
channel 69 to Public Safety, as an overflow from 800 - 950(??) Public
Safety Trunking, but the FCC chose to auction it off instead!!

We shall see what happens next...!!

Dick Warren, CET, W7TIO