My application for a converter box coupon was rejected saying that there were
no more coupons available.

73 - JimĀ  W5ZIT

--- On Mon, 1/5/09, TRACOMM <trac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
From: TRACOMM <trac...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] OT-  Digital TV converter box issues
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, January 5, 2009, 2:21 PM

            Having issues converting over to digital TV.

My father "volunteered" my services to a few of his friends, all

serious seniors, Detroit market, As an elecronic wizard (my dad's

words) I should be able to make anything with wires work well.

Most converter boxes I tried took forever to scan, channels missing,

analog TV worked great.

Most of the seniors already had their "free" box, obtained with the

converter box coupon.

Only boxes I have found so far that seem to work very well are the

DigitalStream & Zenith pass thru boxes, scan quickly, best picture on

rabbit ears. Cost more, but worth the price.

Below is a message from another user group, also detailing the

frustration in switching over to digital.

CJD

--- In l...@yahoogroups. com, BB <beazer...@. ..> wrote:

> I went out to the home of an elderly couple having problem hooking

up their converter boxes.  When I arrived, the man had set up the

boxes correctly.  His problem - he was missing half of the stations

he had before!  I ran the scan about 10 times.  Each time it found

different stations.  But very few of the UHF channels from Phx.

> According to www.antennaweb. org - he should be able to get them

all - plus some of the Tucson stations.  He's getting the Tucson ones

that are 70 miles away, but not the Phoenix ones that are 30 miles

away.  He's using an indoor set top antenna, the kind with the built

in amplifier.  We tried different settings without much change.

> Weather conditions at the time - rain.  I've noticed at my house

when it rains, some channels have severe pixelation.

> With the converter turned off, he gets all the Phoenix stations

analog signals just fine on that indoor antenna.  But going through

the converter, he's missing a few of the incidental ones...ABC,

UPN...ION.

> Needless to say, he isn't too happy.  It looks like unless we can

come up with a better option - he needs to call DISH.  If Congress

wants to talk to an average consumer about what they think of digital

television - he'd give them an earful!