  From: Mike Morris WA6ILQ
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, February 16, 2009 3:32 PM
  Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Somewhat OT - an interesting antenna design

  One of the major TV stations here in Los Angeles is KTLA, on channel 5.
  Klaus Landsberg, a ham (but call sign unknown) was the first chief
  engineer, and designed the station back in the 1940s.

  I recently found a writeup of the early days, and page 2 shows the
  early antenna design. Klaus came up with a very interesting way
  to get a wide bandwidth:

  Look at the bottom of page 2 of this file:
  <http://web.mac.com/zcleve/KlausTribute/KLStories_files/Silva-RoseParade.pdf>

  Another image of the aural antenna is the second image from the bottom here:
  <http://www.earlytelevision.org/w6xyz.html>
  The bottom paragraph of text is incorrect. The hoop antenna is mounted above
  the platform visible in the bottom image.

  Other info here:
  <http://web.mac.com/zcleve/KlausTribute/KlausHome.html>
  and
  <http://web.mac.com/zcleve/KlausTribute/KLStories.html>
  The Stan Chambers writeup is especially interesting.

  For those that are unaware of it, Stan has been continuously
  employed by KTLA since 1947 - that's over 60 years at the
  same station. He's over 80 years old and still goes out on
  field news assignments.Can anybody in broadcasting top that?
  He's seen it all - from the early spinning disk experiments to seeing
  Klaus Landsberg - a ham - invent the studio to transmitter link to the
  first flying remote (the "Telecopter" in 1958) to today's HD cameras
  that fit in your hand.
  ( <http://www.tech-notes.tv/Archive/tech_notes_139.pdf> starting on
  page 11 )
  His 1947 live reports from a electroplating plant explosion become
  the world's first on-the-spot news coverage. His 1949 on-scene
  continuous 27½-hour report of the attempt to rescue 3-year-old
  Kathy Fiscus from an abandoned 14 inch well demonstrated how
  TV could show live news - until then TV was just evening
  entertainment.
  (his grandson, Jaime Chambers, became a reporter at KTLA in
  2003, and has two children of his own)

  Mike