Hi Mike,

By the number of Micor's that you are talking about, I take them to
be converted mobil's not Compa Stations.  I have run into this
trouble before on Micor mobil's, what I found to be the trouble is
the interconnect board uses rivets instead of plated through holes
and the solder joint at these rivets go bad.  I inject a signal into
the receiver's front-end, and then use an oscilloscope and probe
along the traces on the interconnect board until I find the offending
solder joint.

Gregory AC6VJ

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Besemer \(WM4B\)"
<mwbese...@...> wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I normally maintain a couple of 'out-of-the-box' (Kendecom)
repeaters, but
> recently I've been asked to help out with another system that is
homebrewed
> from Micors.  It consists of 4 Micors (TX on 2 meters, RX on 2
meters, TX on
> 440 and RX on 440) linked with a CAT-500 and a set of homebrew
controls.

> Lately, the 2 meter RX has become intermittent.  For a while, I'd
been able
> to either wiggle the plug on the front of the receiver or give the
receiver
> a good whack and it'd come back to life, but lately it's become
more and
> more obstinate.  A couple of weeks ago, I brought the RX back to my
shop and
> pulled all the boards, cleaned the pins and did my best to look for
obvious
> problems.  I really didn't see anything wrong, but when I
reinstalled the
> RX, it work fine and I thought (after it ran for a couple of weeks)
I must
> have fixed it.  (I have no way of running it on the bench... so it
was just
> a plug-and-pray fix.)
>
> Unfortunately, it crapped out again a couple of days ago, and this
time
> reseating the plug and banging had no effect.  One thing I did
notice that
> I'd not seen before (it's hard to access the rear of the repeater)
is that
> the plug (on the harness) is missing a piece of plastic surrounding
the
> three pins nearest the hinged side of the handle.  I haven't had
time to
> pull up the drawings yet to see what those pins are, but I suspect
that may
> be at the heart of my problem.
>
> At any rate, I'd like to be able to run this beast on my bench.
Where can I