At 6/21/2009 14:43, you wrote:
>Tony,
>
>Most UHF mobile notch-only flatpack duplexers will work fine below 50 watts
>at a 5 MHz split- but their performance rapidly deteriorates when operated
>outside of their stated band limits.  For example, a commercial-band mobile
>duplexer that was manufactured to operate in the 450-470 MHz band will
>likely perform poorly in the 440-450 MHz Amateur band.  Although such a
>duplexer may SEEM to be working in the Ham 70 cm band, it may have excessive
>insertion loss that the owner may not realize.  That's because the coupling
>loops are set at the factory and not readily adjustable by the owner.
>
>I once tried to use a commercial-band mobile duplexer on 70 cm in a portable
>repeater, and was disappointed in its performance- especially receive
>sensitivity.  I then ordered a new Celwave duplexer of the same model, but
>factory-tuned for my Amateur pair.  What a difference!  Once the new

Once again, I'm going to go out on a limb & say the above experience is
more the exception than the rule.  I have several 6-section UHF mobile
duplexers here originally tuned in the 460-470 MHz range (so I assume they
were made for 450-470 MHz) & they all either MEET specs in the 440-450 MHz
range or are only off by a small amount - maybe 1.8 dB loss instead of 1.5 dB.

I'd say go for it.  If there is excessive insertion loss it can be easily
measured with a synthesized TX, isolator, wattmeter & 50 ohm termination.

Bob NO6B