  From: Jeff DePolo
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 10:07 PM
  Subject: RE: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Service Monitor Question

  > option, make sure it works properly. I have a bad IFR1200
  > here that the
  > heater on the oscillator crapped out. The service monitor
  > works, but it
  > is way off frequency and can't be adjusted. The last time I priced
  > repair, it was in the $1,000+ range.
  >
  > 73, Joe, K1ike

  Joe,

  You've probably already thought of this, but you can feed an external 10 MHz
  reference into the back of your 1200. GPS and rubidium references are
  pretty affordable these days. Scrounging them from retired cell site or
  paging stations is even cheaper. An external rubidium or GPS reference may
  render the 1200 less mobile than it was stock, but it's better than using it
  as a door stop...

  Worst-case, get a good 10 MHz OCXO module off eBay for $50. Who knows, you
  might get lucky and be able to find something that you can graft into the
  1200 without major surgery, or mount it in a small shielded box and attach
  to the side or rear of the 1200.

  --- Jeff WN3A