Joe is correct, if you're going to try an tune it without the proper test
equipment, you will not get it perfect.  It may work, but not as well as
it could.  Early in my career, I was able to tune a duplexer with a couple
HT's, one for xmit and one for receive, but I found I needed a step
attenuator to keep from saturating the receiving HT.  I was really proud
of myself cause I could tune for the peak and the null by using this method.
It worked, but later when I had access to the proper equipment, I
checked the
duplexer and found I missed the proper settings by 10 Db on one side and
15 on
the other.  I don't think there is anyway you'll be able to tune it by
ear.  Try and
find someone with the proper gear, you'll be much happier in the end.
Gary - K7NEY