Watch your signal strength meter on your radio. The input signal may not be
weak enough to hear a "noisey-quiet-noisey" Actually while tuning for a
notch you need to be listening to the freq you are trying to notch and it
will be a "quiet-noisey-quiet" as you move the notch rod on the side. Tune
for most noise (weakest signal).

First consult the tuning instructions on where to set the notch adjustment
rods for starting point.

You should set all the (4) pass adjustments first
You have to tune the pass first, that is the threaded rod in the center of
the can. You can do this by transmitting (you can use an HT or mobile on
low power for this) on the freq you want to pass and adjusting (not while
transmitting)  for least reflected power into a dummy load or antenna. Do
this one can at a time then put them all back together and terminate the
open port into a dummy load. check the reflected power again it should be
very close to where it was with only one can if not you can tweek the first
pass adjustment.
Do not move the pass adjustments again.

Now for the notch you will have to be receiving a weak signal on the freq
you want to reject (this is where a variable attenuator helps) and adjust
the rods on the side of the cans you just set for the freq you wanted to
pass. Adjust the rods for weakest signal on your signal strength meter.
Adjust one then the other until you get the weakest possible signal. You
will have to move the rods "as far as it takes" there is no set answer as
to how far to move the rods.

Then repeat the above notch adjustment procedure for the other set of cans.
hope this helps.

I have tuned several with nothng more than a signal generator and a ht with
a signal strength meter. After I got the right equipment I found little to
no improvement in performance when retuned with the service monitor.

tom