At 10:52 AM 7/26/2009, you wrote:
>Being a past chairman of a coordinating council, we had many
>applications for close repeater systems. All and every application
>that was applied for was denied coordination unless they changed
>their closed status to an open status.

May I offer a solution that seems to work in my area?
There is a very nice repeater near here - operated by a local DX
group and owned by one of their members.
It is nominally open - but is for the *main* use of the DX group. It
is, if you will, open with PREFERRED status enjoyed by the group.
Their use is considered "primary" with other users "secondary", if you will.
Now the owner is thinking of making the machine D-Star.
I regret that, because it will mean I can no longer use it (I don't
do D-Star) but it is *HIS* machine.
He also has some other "personal" rules. Again - I may disagree with
them, but it is *HIS* machine.
I get to use it as a guest - and I am expected to behave that way.
I'm not sure when we lost sight of that relationship.

Larry Wagoner - N5WLW
VP - PRCARC
PIC - MS SECT ARRL