Hi Cort,

Being a past chairman of a coordinating council, we had many applications
for close repeater systems. All and every application that was applied for
was denied coordination unless they changed their closed status to an open
status.

I guess if a coordinator is allowing repeaters to get coordinated with a
closed status, it really does not benefit the ham community. Having had and
owned a linked repeater system with over 28 personal repeaters within a
system that has over 75 linked repeaters through 4 states. If we closed the
system to a members closed system. Nobody would ever use the system and more
than ½ of the repeaters would get kicked off the hill tops.

When we have clubs ask for repeater space on the tower, the first thing I
ask is what do they plan to accomplish with their system and second is the
system for all to use. I have had several say their system is closed for
club members only. Those groups would never get free space on the towers.
The guys that want to benefit all amateurs and their systems are open to all
licensed amateurs, I would always go out of my way to help them out and most
of the time I would even give them FREE space. Hell, I would even combine
them in on the broadband antennas and multi couplers as long as their
equipment was engineered good and clean.

Mike Mullarkey K7PFJ

6886 Sage Ave

Firestone, Co 80504

303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax