Good point on GMRS, Jacob. I have a GMRS license that I use with
family on road trips, etc. I have considered putting up a GMRS
repeater as well, but know there's not enough users to really warrant
the work, so I stay with my 70cm amateur repeater.

On a likely non-related issue concerning open vs. closed:  A non-
trivial number of the local believe that use of PL/DPL constitutes a
"closed" repeater. Such as, "is that an open repeater, or does it have
a tone?" We actually have a fair amount of ambiguity about what open
and closed really mean, CSQ and PL/DPL have been conflated with open
and closed to create a reality where a number believe if it has "a
tone" you're not allowed to talk on it, others are confused, and of
course, many do know what's going on.

--
Cort Buffington
H: +1-785-838-3034