--- On Sun, 7/26/09, Steve <petn...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> From: Steve <petn...@sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Closed Repeaters
> To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Sunday, July 26, 2009, 10:35 PM
> This is a bit of another example
> where people want to extend their "Constitutional Rights"
> beyond what was intended.
> If we think any closed repeater system should be "open" to
> all because it uses a shared resource (the frequencies),
> then where do we stop?
> Does that mean that anyone gets to ride in my vehicle for
> free because I am driving on a public road, or Interstate
> Highway?

A closed repeater is taking up space.  If you want to go the highway route,
look at it in another way.  YOu are on two lane interstate and a friend comes
along side of you .  Both of you decide to stop in the middle of the road to
talk.  You are in your own car, but stopping the whole highway.

HOw would you like it if when your repeater was not being used, someone else
put a repeater on the air, maybe even using a digital mode that you can not
decode by ear ?

In lots of areas, there are no open 2 meter repeater pairs.  Suspose all
repeater owners decide to go closed and not let any new hams on the system.