From: vhsproducts <captal...@aol.com>
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Portable repeater
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, August 3, 2009, 10:09 PM

I am in the design stages for a portable VHF (2 meter ham) repeater, and
thought I would solicit the views of the group for desired features. In broad
strokes, we plan on a computer programmable unit, capable of one or two field
selectable operation modes. CTCSS only, no COS or DTS. This is primarily to
support our SAR users (I manufacture the Micro-Trak line of APRS tracking
systems sold by Byonics-www. byonics.com) We will have DTMF remote control. The
goal is a bare-bones repeater, with no provision for a duplexer, so wide
channel separation and physically separate antennas will be a must. Battery
power will be the norm, and I am thinking of a system with no more than 8 Watts
output. What features are a "must-have" in this kind of a machine? What DTMF
remote functions do we need as a minimum, and are there any features that we
should have that other controllers don't offer? ( We will be writing our own
code for the controller, an Atmega
 microprocessor) Has anyone ever attempted a servo controlled duplexer? Did it
work?

73,

Allen
VHS