Allen,

Just for fun our club set-up a 250watt repeater w/o cans.  We installed the
transmit antenna on the roof top of  the building. One floor down (its a tiered
roof) we installed the receive antenna.  We positioned the two antenna so that
they were physically separated by the structure. The transmit antenna had full
benefit of the highest point on the roof and the receive antenna had open views
of about 270 degrees. We achieved about 100db attenuation.  It was a compromise
on receive but using the building structure allowed the two antennas to be
about 70ft apart horizontally and 20ft vertically.  It was a net experiment. We
eventually installed six cans and used the receive antenna for another project.

So, maybe you could use two antennas. Pick a street corner and use the building
on the corner as your attenuation device ;-)

Good Luck,
dave
wa3gin
www.w4ava.org