[snip]

Well, I can think of at least two hams I've known with throat problems,
such that they could not speak loudy.  Yes, a pain but that was their
disability.  That repeater would have shut them out, which I consider
rather unforunate.

There is also the issue of emergencies: someone in some kind of
accident (think auto) who either got a damaged mic, or is injured
themselves, trying to use the repeater.

While not likely in either case, its very real for that person if it
happens.

--STeve Andre'
wb8wsf  en82