Tony,

I once chatted with the developer of CommShop for Windows, and learned that
his formulae are based upon a number of assumptions- the most important
being that the repeater is of commercial quality.  This translates to  GE
Mastr II and Exec II, and Motorola Micor and Mitrek, for example.  He gained
a great deal of information from the GE Duplex Curves, all of which are
available for download from the RBTIP.

It is important to realize that the results provided by the CommShop
program- or any similar software package- are ballpark estimates.  A
transmitter with a crystal oscillator or a PLL exciter will probably require
less isolation than a synthesized unit, due to improved spectral purity.  A
receiver with poor selectivity or a "barn door front end" will probably
require more isolation.  Nevertheless, I have found CommShop to be a very
useful program, since it includes much more than just duplexer isolation
calculations.  More info is here:

<www.dcico.com/dcilmr.htm>

Basic calculations of suggested duplexer isolation require only four
factors:  TX power in watts, RX sensitivity in microvolts at 12 dB SINAD, TX
frequency, and RX frequency.  The antenna gain, mounting height, and length
of feedline are irrelevant, since they have nothing to do with how the
duplexer performs with a 50 ohm dummy load connected.  As always, YMMV...

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY