I'll second what Kevin said and add:

What if you want to upgrade? If you only purchased what you needed
before, it may no longer be adequate for your new system which may have
more power or a higher sensitivity receiver.

Better to buy extra isolation now and not need it than to buy less and
have to buy more later. Usually, you end up spending more than you
recoup from your initial investment selling the first duplexer. IOW,
spend X now vs spend 2/3 X now, X later, and get a fraction of your 2/3
X expense back.

Think of it as 'desense insurance' if you have more than you need.

Joe M.

Kevin Custer wrote:

> Gary wrote:
>
>> Dan Kagabine, the chief engineer at TX-RX systems use to always say
>> that “once you have enough isolation to overcome any desense, then any
>> more is a waste of money as it does nothing for you”. “If you only
>> need 70 db then a 100 db duplexer does nothing more for you than a 70
>> db duplexer”.
>

> While I'll agree that more isolation, then what is needed to insure no
> desense is a waste; if this gentleman is suggesting that isolation in
> reserve is a waste, I strongly disagree.  Why?  Operating conditions can
> change - snow and especially ice on the repeater antenna can detune the
> system and isolation in reserve will allow the repeater to operate
> without desense until the reserve is used up.
>
> Kevin Custer

> 05:58:00

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional