P.S. Before I get flame-broiled by the group for "being mean"...

Realize that I'm not an ogre, and the answers you're getting from
other folks might sound more friendly, and so far, they're all leading
the right direction too, it'll just be a long "journey" to get there
without the proper test gear.

None of the below is meant in anger or in any way "negative".  In
fact, you MUST imagine me asking the questions below with a twinkle in
my eye and a friendly inquisitive but forceful demeanor to "get" how I
would ask the questions in person, if they were posed on the phone, or
face-to-face.

A repeater guru who taught me once asked, with that same twinkle in
his eye, right after I said that "I thought" XYZ was wrong with my
repeater...

"Are you a thinkin' man, or are you a KNOWIN' man?"

:-) <--- NOTE BIG SMILE... and a real one on my face, typing this.

Here's something I've always wanted to do, but never had time... write
up the learning process I personally went through, including ALL of
the annoying things I've chased and troubleshot on repeaters that led
me to buy (or beg, or steal... okay, not steal... but you know what I
mean) the right test gear over the last number of years.  All those
"learning experiences" put together in story format, might convince
someone that:

a) Repeater operation just isn't for them.
b) Repeater operation is just bloody expensive to do right.
c) Repeater operators are crazy and often spend as much time/money/
effort on really well done repeaters as the most crazed HF contester
does on his station.  (Yep! That's it!)

Nate WY0X