Most of the time you will want as much selectivity as you can get in front
of the preamp. The only time that I can think of off hand where you might
want a filter behind a preamp is if you are getting a receiver feed from a
receiver multicoupler that has a preamp in it, giving a few megs wide signal
out of the multicoupler.

Overload of a preamp depends on the total amount of power that gets into it.
The wider the window in front of it the more total power that has potential
for getting in from many other transmitters. This can cause IM products to
be generated in the preamp itself. Once that happens you have opened the
barn door and there is not much you can do after the preamp to help the
receiver.

Sometimes if is good to use a preamp that doesn't necessarily have the best
noise figure but maybe has a higher dynamic range (higher intercept point)
if your site has lots of nearby transmitters and noise that could overload
the preamp. Having a very low noise figure doesn't do you any good if the
preamp causes IM to be generated.

The second thing is not to run too much gain in the preamp so that the added
gain overloads the front end of the receiver.
For every Db of gain the preamp provides that reduces the receivers IM
rejection ability by the same number of Db.
So again if you have lots of strong adjacent signals at your site you don't
want lots of preamp gain.

Total receiver system noise figure is partially set by the preamp if its
noise figure is lower than that of the receiver, which it usually is. Using
a preamp with a .5 Db noise figure and a receiver with an 8 Db noise figure
won't give you a total noise figure of .5 Db, but somewhere in-between.
The more gain the preamp has the lower the overall noise figure will be in
this case, unless you have enough gain to cause some of the other low noise
figure stages in the receiver to go into compression as Mel eludes to.
The stage that goes into compression in the receiver doesn't necessarily
have to be the front end of the receiver. The first IF stages in most
receivers have a pretty low noise figure and help establish the overall
noise figure of the receiver as well as the front end of the receiver. So
these stages can be overloaded with too much gain and cause a noise figure
reduction.

But the biggest problem with too much preamp gain is overloading the mixer
in the receiver and causing it to generate IM products. By controlling the
gain of the preamp (using attenuators after the preamp) or by other means
you can usually find a happy medium of some gain to improve system noise
figure (sensitivity) and not too much gain to destroy the IM performance of
the receiver.
One way to do that is to put in attenuation until the sensitivity just
starts to degrade with the preamp in the circuit. That will give you good
sensitivity and good IM performance. Any more gain and all you are doing is
degrading the receiver IM performance.

When shopping for preamps don't only look at gain figures and noise figures,
also look at the intercept point to see how much signal it will handle
before compression starts. That's where it will start generating IM
products.

73
Gary  K4FMX