The length of a commercial base-loaded mobile whip is nearly a full electrical
1/4-wave because the coil is there primarily to provide a convenient way to
adjust impedance and run at DC ground, and leaving as much whip length as
possible helps performance. If you build your own, and saving space is
critical, a base-loaded antenna could be designed to be as short as needed.
Whether it will disappoint later is a another matter.

There have been guys who've cut down the 48" helical fiberglass CB whips to
work on 6 meters with fair results. Distributing the loading along the length
can sometimes work out better than putting the entire load in the base. The
name brand used to be "Wondershaft," but I suspect these days you'd have to
look for something from Valor, maybe even shop at a truckstop.

I cut one for 10m FM by carefully prying off the protective rubber tip cap, and
removing a little at a time off the top with a hacksaw. The windings on the
fiberglass CB whips get very close spaced right at the top, so it took only
about 1/4" off the tip, IIRC, to move it 2.5 MHz, all the way up to 29.6 MHz.
You might actually get all the way to 54 MHz before getting down to 1m in
length, and performance may suffer if you're into the wide-spaced windings at
that point.

Fortunately, it would be a fairly forgiving style of antenna to cut-and-try for
a homebrewer, since you could change things up before applying whatever
protective coating goes on last. The CB types use an ordinary 3/8"-x-24
threaded mount and are series-fed, but they're prone to static noise. If I was
trying to put one on a tower, I think I'd try to leave the whip electrically
short, and add at least a small coil at the base to allow shunt feeding to be
at DC ground. Depending on construction, that might also allow some last-minute
adjustment in impedance to match the environment, before the coil was sealed up.

But then, if you're building a base coil anyway, maybe a 1m stick of aluminum
tube for the vertical and a couple more turns in the base loading coil would be
the better answer for durability.

73,
Paul, AE4KR