Re: Daniels Electronics MT-3 Lowband Radios on 6 meters?

Yes, it can be done...

Per one of my associates who works on MT-3 units all the
time... they can be "moved" out of band but the required
work is cumbersome. The six meter band plan (out here on
the left coast) appears to have two repeater "ranges". I
call one of them the 51/52 MHz range and the other the 52/53
MHz range.

So a conversion probably depends more on your motivation,
parts and test equipment resources.

You're talking about modification to the default synthesizer
layout and possibly re-ranging the injection stages. Then
you have to deal with the front-end depending on how far
into the six meter band you hope/plan to operate the receiver.

Making converted commercial equipment play in the low range
repeater portion of the band (depending on the specific
radio circuit) can be a lot easier than conversion and
operation up above 52.5 into the higher range repeater band.
If the receiver pre-selector doesn't cover your 53.4 MHz
input frequency are you able and willing to make the required
physical and electrical mods?

It can be done, has been done many times in the past on a
lot of converted commercial equipment. But if you can't find
the person who has done it before and has the real conversion
information to share... it's going to be on your skills to
get out the service manual, compare the part value
differences (if there are any) over the different ranges the
equipment might be offered as operating in/over. Then come
up with a game plan for re-ranging the circuit where required.

The smart person completely measures a working radio/circuit,
notes various stage values in working operation before and after
modification and hopefully records those values. Many of the
Group Members offering converted Commercial Radio Conversions
to Amateur Band Operation have done the above steps more than
a few times in the past.

If someone has the MT-3 manual in pdf a number of Group Members
should be able to chime in with some experience and (hopefully)
educated suggestions. I recently serviced the high band 160
MHz range MT-3 equipment and it doesn't look that exotic
circuit wise to discard the idea of a possible low band unit
conversion up to six meters.  Otherwise I can try to dig up
the low band model service manual and have a look as time allows.

s.

Looking forward to IWCE in March... I'll be there on the 10th
(only) so guard your free samples.