Scott,

A proper answer must address the differences in the way Amateur and
commercial radios encode and decode the PL (CTCSS) and DPL (CDCSS) tones.
Generally, commercial-quality portable and mobile radios can encode or
decode both schemes well.  Again generally, most Amateur-grade radios can
handle PL fairly well but not DPL.  The issue here is the inability of most
Amateur-grade radios to encode and decode the reverse-burst squelch-tail
elimination (STE) signals.  It is one of life's great pleasures to have a
radio mute silently at the end of an incoming transmission, without so much
as a "tick" instead of a crash.  However, in one of life's inexplicable
ironies, there are Hams who walk among us who delight in hearing squelch
crashes, and can't seem to survive without them- must be fans of the old
Highway Patrol TV series.

The CTCSS reverse-burst STE uses a phase shift of either 180 degrees or 120
degrees (both are officially-recognized formats) to activate the muting
circuits of the receiver, but the CDCSS scheme uses a brief burst of 134.4
Hz tone to accomplish the same effect.  And therein is the problem with DPL-
the same mute tone is used with ALL digital codes, so a co-channel user with
DPL (or a CTCSS user with a nearby tone like 131.8 Hz) can mute your
receiver inadvertently.

Some of the cheaper Amateur-grade radios- Puxing and Alinco come to mind-
use less-sophisticated methods to generate tones, and these tones sometimes
are distorted enough to cause intermittent operation of CTCSS or CDCSS
decoders.  Perhaps "crude methods" would be more accurate.  A 3-step
approximation of a sine wave (the cheap and easy method) is a good example
of crude, and is raspy.

But, I digress.  If the radios and stations you plan to use are capable of
handling PL and DPL, go for it.  I suspect that PL operation will be able to
operate well with a greater number of portable and mobile radios.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY