One caution -

The 900MHz Motorola GTX series radios have a firmware
bug in them and will NOT do tone reverse burst at all.
The DCS side of the radio is just fine.
This is documented on the GTX pages at repeater-builder.

Since every 900MHz user radio that is in use started out as
a commercial 2-way they all have both PL and DPL, so
the choice of PL tone or DPL code and the choice of which
tone or which code is up to the person who sets up the
system.

Since the GTX is a popular an entry-level radio you will find
a LOT of repeaters use DPL, and for what it's worth in some
areas DPL code 411 is considered an "open" code - i.e. if
the system uses 411 then it's an open system.

As to tone selection criteria, the CTCSS overview article (which
also contains some historical info) at repeater-builder has
some very cogent points - like you DON'T want to use
136.5 Hz or 131.8 Hz on any channel that you might want to
run DPL on in the future.
See <http://www.repeater-builder.com/tech-info/ctcss/ctcss-overview.html>
There is also a chart of "legal" DPL codes at the end. Too many systems
are out there that use nonstandard codes.

Mike WA6ILQ