Amen to the part about working on those pups. Kinda like open heart surgery. I
will agree, when working, tough radios. Replaced many a battery contact though.
Cruddy design.

--- On Fri, 4/9/10, Shanon KA8SPW <ka8...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

From: Shanon KA8SPW <ka8...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Motorola Radius P50
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, April 9, 2010, 11:53 AM

John,

The PL or DPL board could be added to the short or tall case, just
depended on if the radio had the connector strip in it. You can have
one or the other, required a board change to go from one to the other.
Tone set by dip switch.

Large battery = more power out. Short usually meant 1 watt, long 5 Watt.

A P10 had only one channel 1 watt, P50 usually had 2 channels with
Mic/headset Jack and 5 watts. Both came in short or long case.

Two crystals and caps needed to change or add a frequency.

I have LOTS of these P10's and P50's I would sell cheep with chargers,
spare parts, service manual the works. I also have the tool to remove
guts from the case without using two screwdrivers. There is also an
antenna adapter to BNC. Real technicians used to work on these. You
had to know how to solder! I liked them for what they were.

Most are VHF. Some with PL, lots of spare DPL boards. Batteries
included but unknown condition. New batteries are still available for
cheep about $18.

There were many different versions and often they got recased so no
telling what you got till you pulled the works from the case.

Great radios, good range, tough and simple. You can drop one many times
and no damage. Good for people who don't have a clue on how to use a
radio like at a community festival or mom to mom sale.

I am located SE Michigan

Shanon KA8SPW