Hi Paul,  I modified a non-unified chassis 5 years or so ago. I wanted to
disable the tone during cw id, so I used a small reed relay and broke the pl
audio right at the input on the exciter board. I believe all I did was to put
one end of the relay to 12 volts and the other end to a diode or gate. I don't
quite remember how it went all together. I'll see if I can find the
documentation and let you know.

HTH
Sean ve3hxp