Thanks Jeff!

Having someone to kick this around with is helping.

Very good point about the ratty user signal. I hadn't thought of that.

You are exactly right. I need to make sure the controller is set up
to always keep the transmitter up for a short time after loss of
user signal on the repeater, and just kill the tone.

Paul

Jeff DePolo wrote:

> I don't have a schematic in front of me, but if your plan is to key voltage
> to the board on/off, this won't work ideally because the vibrasender reed
> takes a little time to "come up to speed".
>
> Since the repeater transmitter is still keyed long after a user unkeys, just
> muting the encoder seems like it would work fine all by itself. Whether the
> radio does or does not understand reverse-burst shouldn't matter. RB would
> mute the receiver quicker on radios that do understand RB, but unless your
> courtesy tone, ID's, etc. start to be played out very quickly (like within a
> few hundred ms) of a user unkeying, even radios looking for RB should mute
> before those ID's and CT's air.
>
> Also consider what happens if a user is noisy/ratty/fluttery into the
> repeater. As the COR briefly goes inactive during a fade, you're going be
> switching PL phases. This will tend to make the user sound even more choppy
> on listener's radios that are using PL decode. You'd be better off not
> having the phase change, and just having the PL drop out briefly without RB,
> and then recovering in-phase when COR goes active again - less chance of
> having the user radio mute intermittantly.
>
> --- Jeff WN3A

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: