On May 18, 2010, at 6:17 PM, MCH wrote:

> I can't speak specifically of Sinclair, most all of the models I've used
> will do either omni or cardioid by moving the elements. The spacing from
> the mast stays the same.
>
> Joe M.

I am not an expert, but most of the Sinclair stuff I've used had the elements
welded in place.

These are the "HD" models (heavy-duty) ... they cost more, but the usually
outlast the repeater gear, or match it for longevity.  If they have the
internal harness, and the hardline run to them is done right for
weatherproofing, they're damn near indestructible.  They also make them welded
in the "Low PIM" models... no moving parts to make noise...

I think you're right in the lower-end Sinclair line, there are elements that
are just bolted to a mast, and you might even be able to buy the antenna
without the mast, and provide your own.  I'm not a big fan of those.

But the welded/HD models are spendy up-front.  I do think you get what you pay
for, though.  On a site where hoisting and dealing with a 4-bay wasn't going to
be all that much difference in real-world coverage over a 2-bay, two clubs went
together out here last winter and bought two 2-element HD VHF versions.  They
were BEEFY... but they didn't survive the dude who ran over both of them with a
forklift at a warehouse somewhere between here and Canada...

THAT was fun... insurance claims (by the shipper) and having to order two more
out-of-stock antennas, and wait, and wait... and wait...

But the end result was well worth it.  The antennas are up, and working great.
The last one at that site had an external harness, and lasted 10 years... in
some nasty mountain-top wind, snow, ice conditions... plus baking in the
high-altitude sun (UV rays) for all that time.  What finally killed it WAS the
Sun... the harness became so brittle that no amount of electrical tape and
painting with sealant could save it.  And none of us had the time to do what
someone here is doing... re-harnessing it.

We got quite a bit better than list price, but I think list is just over
$400... for $40 a year... I'll take the expensive antenna, any day... over
farting around with a lower quality one!  ;-)  Time is worth something...

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
n...@natetech.com

facebook.com/denverpilot