I don't think that you have necessarily wasted your time, but you have
severely limited your chances of decreasing lightning damage.  It's like
replacing 3 tires on your car that has 4 bad tires, you've bettered your
odds but it is not the best fix.

I have a site that the owner would throw me off if I started installing
single;e point grounding and all kinds of wiring.  I use a grounded
Polyphasor in hopes that it will decrease my odds of lightning damage.
Yes, the purist will say that this is wrong, but it's not my site and
I'm a guest.  That's the deal and I accept it.

It's a case of something is better than nothing.

73, Joe, K1ike