Here is a little primer on lightning:

Having your antenna grounded does not drain off any charge that helps
prevent a strike. As a matter of  fact grounding the antenna makes it
slightly more prone to a strike but not grounding it is much worse as you
have no control over what path the energy will take if not grounded.

When a storm cloud moves over the area charge builds on objects on the
ground. The ground items, towers etc start to emit streamers. When a strike
is imminent step leaders come down from the charged cloud and move in
approximately 150 foot steps. Changing directions with each step. When a
step leader gets close enough to a streamer a connection is made. What
follows is a plasma trail which is a very low impedance path that the
lightning charge follows.

Lightning can be thought of as a current source. In other words if there is
a 10 KA strike it is going to develop that much current into whatever it
strikes. If for example it hits your tower and the total impedance to ground
is quite low then the voltage developed across the tower will be relatively
low. But if the ground system is not a good one then the voltage will rise
higher. It will still develop the 10 KA current.

Bonding all equipment to a common point is one of the first steps to take.
Just adding a polyphaser coax protector to the coax line will only equalize
the current between center conductor and shield. If power is not protected
and everything bonded together the coax protector will do little good. Even
without a coax protector, just bonding everything is a great first step.

The whole idea is to keep everything at the same voltage level when a strike
occurs.

73

Gary  K4FMX

  _____