From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:repeater-buil...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of W3ML
Sent: Monday, September 06, 2010 10:55 AM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: no power out of duplexer SOLVED with more
questions

Thanks Joe.

We did most of those and then found the problem. The T-connector center pin
had broken off when we apparently hooked up some test equipment and did not
notice it.

I still have one question though.

Is it normal to have 100 watts coming out of radio and only 70 watts coming
out of duplexer?

Wacom 6 can type duplexer.

That seems to be quite a loss. Again I appreciate all the help.

73
John, W3ML

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:Repeater-Builder%40yahoogroups.com> , Joe <k1ike_m...@...> wrote:

> What make and model is the duplexer? I know of one instance that the
> loop inside the duplexer can come disconnected due to a bad solder
> joint, but can't remember what one it was. A search on this list should
> find it, as it was discussed recently.
>
> The first thing would be to check all connections for tightness. Do not
> over-tighten the connections! Just make sure that they are snug. If
> your knuckles are turning white, your tightening too much. N
> connectors need to be snug, UHF connectors need to be a little tighter,
> but not cranked down tight, but not until they break.
>
> What you can do is take the connecting cables off the transmit side cans
> and test the first one for power out. Then connect the next can in
> series and see if there is output from that can. This process should
> isolate the bad can(s). Disconnect the receiver while doing this just
> to be safe. MARK all the cables as to where they came from. Do not mix
> them up. It may be a bad cable, so if you find a problem make sure that
> it is not the interconnecting cable. If all the cans and cables test
> OK, their may be a problem on the receive side of the duplexer. Keep it
> simple, don't fool with the cans unless you prove that one is bad.
>
> This process is to eliminate the obvious before you go tinkering with
> the duplexer. Check the tightness of connections first, cables second,
> and lastly the cans. The process above will help you isolate the bad
> can so you hopefully only have to tinker with one can.
>
> The real fix would involve some test equipment. What do you have
> available? Service monitor, tracking generator?
>
> Others will probably have some good suggestions, these ideas are just
> off the top of my head.
>
> On 9/6/2010 9:37 AM, W3ML wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > First, let me say that we are still new to the repeater business and
learning as we go. This the first time in 30 ham years that I have been
involved with a VHF repeater system.

> > Our repeater was working okay at 80 watts out of GE Mastr II and 60
watts out of Duplexer. When I turn the power up to 100 out of radio and 80
out of duplexer it seemed to be working okay.

> > But, now a few hours later there is no power coming out of duplexer at
all. Radio still shows power coming out.