From: Mauro Rossi <issor.or...@gmail.com>
Sent: July 15, 2019 9:08:32 AM GMT+01:00
To: dllud <dl...@riseup.net>
Subject: Re: Does Android-x86 still use Mesa's llvmpipe?

> Previously Android-x86 was explicitly enabling LLVM for swrast (
> https://osdn.net/projects/android-x86/scm/git/external-mesa/commits/61025f0b269c8c31ec76dba5f72d98590d001949
> ) and this is what Replicant 6 uses.
> However, nowadays, it seems you only enable LLVM for radeonsi (
> https://osdn.net/projects/android-x86/scm/git/external-mesa/blobs/oreo-x86/Android.mk
> ).
>
> Do you no longer use llvmpipe software renderer? Or is it enabled
> somewhere else?

Wu Zhen patches used in mesa 17/17.1 were not compatible with newer mesa,
so in oreo-x86 and later release Chih-Wei decided to use Swiftshader

Due to this change the evolution of swrast llvmpipe in mesa was not
mantained nor tested,
so at the moment I don't know if building it it may work for Android,
or what changes may be required.

The porting of Wu Zhen patches has stopped working, so at some point I have
abandoned them.
The last branches having the ported Wu Zhen patches buildable (but they
were not working) is 18.1.x_oreo-x86
https://github.com/maurossi/mesa/commits/18.1.0_oreo-x86

If you want to try if swrast is now working better with as is code,
the Android.mk build rules changes are in this old commit:
https://github.com/maurossi/mesa/commit/f7c2a171a4320a5a713861440f5f3df2611d7b1e

NOTE: remember to add 'softpipe' and 'llvmpipe' in BoardConfig.mk
BOARD_GPU_DRIVERS

NOTE: the dependency from gralloc in commit "android: support creating
texture from gralloc buffer (v2)"
was the reason the patches were not accepted for upstreaming in mesa,
while egl/android should now support swrast,
"drisw: support image extension (v2)" was not working as intended with new
mesa