Hi,

I've finally published the Replicant 6.0 0004 images[1][2], and the
sources corresponding to the Replicant 6.0 0004-transition and 0004
images[3] but the release is not done yet.

While there is almost no change since the 0004-RC5, and that these
images were extensively tested (by several users, including people that
use them daily), the 0004 and 0004-transition images that I just
released are not tested yet[4], so we need help for that[5].

If you want to upgrade from an older Replicant release, you need to
look at the migration procedure that is in the release notes[6], else
you will probably loose access to your data.

You need to do two migrations:
- You need to migrate the contacts database manually. The Release notes
  have a link to a wiki page that explains how to do it.

  This is because we found nonfree software in Replicant that we
  removed, and that makes the contact database format go backward.

  The migration guide is a bit rough, so we need help to improve it. We
  also didn't look yet if it was possible to do this step graphically.

  The non-graphical step is needed to erase the contact database (once
  it's saved), but it might be possible to do it
  settings->application->[the application that handles this database]
  instead.

  There is probably no information on how to recover from that issue if
  the user forgot to do the migration but has a backup of their contact
  database somewhere (and that was done graphically in the contact
  database).

- You need to migrate to the new system applications signing keys.

  This is because Replicant 6.0 0003, 0002 and 0001 images were built by
  Wolfgang Weidermeier (the previous Replicant maintainer who is not
  involved anymore in Replicant).

  The system applications (like the dialer, launcher, etc) were signed
  with keys that he generated during the build and that we don't have.

  This migration is easier as you just need to install the Replicant
  6.0 0004-transition and then install Replicant 6.0 0004 images.

  Here too we might need some help to improve a bit the instructions
  (for instance point to the page that explain how to know your
  Replicant version, see if the guide works well, etc).

Once we know that the images basics feature work (migration to the new
keys, boot, telephony) and that the migration guide are robust enough
we could announce the release.

On my side I could publish the blog post and make the release notes
more visible, and update the IRC topics.

Releases are also a very good occasion of learning how to create
patches and get them accepted: our developer guide has detailed
instructions on how to do that. It guides the user into making a patch
to update the Replicant website[7][8] to announce a new release.

So if someone wants to learn how to do that it would be a good occasion
since we'll have a release to announce, else I can also do it.