Tim Anderson wrote:

ink easing the job for tools is a good goal.

We must support both Humans and Tools. I would favor Humans. But both humans and tools will have problems when some orginzation decides its project name is Beta or nightly, etc

I think we should consider  not allowing / in many of the parts.

R,
Nick

For tools, I think the main objective should be coming up with a set of rules which enable them to unambigously locate an artifact given a set of inputs. I believe this is possible with the two proposals so far, at least for java artifacts.

I think I see, A tool only needs to be able to generate a URL given the org, project, version, and artifact name. No need to be able to parse a given URL back into it parts. I think I can live with that.

-Tim