> From: Adam R. B. Jack [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<snip/>

> You could have the client tool be told the resource/URI by the user,
> and do the download/verification, yes. That said, I don't think it buys
> the user enough, they have to browse/locate & stash the URI in some local
> config. I'd like to say "go get me xerces from any repository it is in,
> but get me the latest, but I only want release not nightly/snapshot" (e.g.
> http://www.krysalis.org/ruper/ant/reposync.htm). That to me, is useful.
>
> I don't mind being alone in my views, but I ask again -- if we
> don't set the
> bar higher than a one-way URI for download, why write a spec at
> all? I feel
> we have the potential to win big, and I'd like the ASF Repository to be a
> step forward towards these goals, not a step backward.

I believe this is possible using the current proposals.
If tools follow these when deploying artifacts, a user can
can say "go get me the latest formal xerces build".

That said, some configuration will always be required, whether
it be like maven's project.xml dependency resolution, or some
other scheme.
The proposals aim to avoid users explicitly using URIs. Users
should be able to supply a set of criteria and the tools
be responsible for constructing the URI.

-Tim