repoze.bfg has a core concept of "pay only for what you eat", so, as Paul put it
(with a 30 point word no less!), "fidelity" with Zope is not a goal; where we
don't need things that Zope offers, we explicitly get rid of them.  This helps
keep things honest and understandable, particularly in places where concepts
overlap ("why do I need zope.security when BFG has its own security?  why do i
need zope.traversing when BFG does its own traversal?  why do i need
zope.publisher when BFG has its own publisher?").

You understand this goal, as below you argue for it in the context of Plone.  I
am sorry it needs to be one way or the other currently (either bfg gains four
dependencies and directive attributes that are actively harmful or Plone gains
one dependency), but that's how it is until we can figure out a way to get
everybody what they want.  But one thing won't happen: bfg is not going to live
with four inappropriate dependencies forever to service a goal of fidelity.  So
we can either figure out a single way that everyone wins, or we leave it as is.
 That's the set of options you lobbied for me to choose from in your original
email, so I present them back to you, where that decision is yours to make
instead of mine.

That said, to the extent that we can push functionality down into Zope bits and
help detangle dependencies in the course of doing the cleanup, we'll definitely
do so.  But if cleanup is vetoed, we are going to fix it one way or another.

- C