Ok, solved one problem, now I've got another. I'm 99% sure the
problem is with our Adaptec 2930U card that our VXA drive is attached
to and _not_ the VXA drive. The problem is that now I'm getting
miscompares on certain files. The weird thing is that it is the same
files every night. The files themselves are fine on the client
computer (i.e. no damage, they work just fine). I realize you can get
miscompares when a file is in use or has changed since the backup...
but these are "not in use" documents on shutdown down systems
(waiting for backup of course :-). If the file is modified, the next
backup will sometimes get it backed up, sometimes not. I'm afraid to
do a new backup, at this rate I'll have thousands of files
miscomparing.

Before I put the VXA drive on this card it ran off the motherboard
SCSI and although slow on that, it never gave me these miscompares.
Also, we've been using a DDS-2 drive for over 2 years with no history
of miscompares... so it's not a general network problem (happens on
backup of local drives also).

I highly suspect the 2930 card because I discovered that when I have
any hard drive attached to the card externally that any application
on that drive will not launch w/o giving some random error (Type 1,
2, 90 something, or a dialog saying the app is damaged). I can move
the same drive to the motherboard SCSI bus and all is well... so the
files are not really damaged. I played around with every possible
configuration of termination and Adaptec settings, nothing works
(this was all done with the VXA drive detatched to ensure it was not
the source of the problem... ).

I've written to Adaptec but haven't heard anything back yet. Anybody
else run into a similar problem before? Do I just have a bad card? Do
I need to start playing the PCI port roulette game (i.e. moving it
from port to port until one of them works)? I vaguely remember
something about the port mattering on these 6 port machines...
something about a bridge chip and the video board?? (This is a Power
Tower Pro 225)

Any and all advice/comments would be welcome,

-Greg Morin