I can't really give you advice here, because any customizations you make
today are going to make it harder to debug problems you'll inevitably hit
with the database schema down the road.

I'll make it a priority to get proper extension support for customizable
fields in for 1.7.2 (or whatever the next 1.7.x release is with new
features). There's work that needs to be done before this can go in, so I
will have to finish that work up first, but then it should be easier for
you both to do what you want to do without modifying Review Board itself or
its database schema.