Steve Carlin has posted comments on this change. ( 
http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/24257 )

Change subject: IMPALA-14940: Calcite planner: handle broadcast and shuffle 
hints.
......................................................................


Patch Set 7:

(2 comments)

http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24257/7/java/calcite-planner/src/main/codegen/templates/Parser.jj
File java/calcite-planner/src/main/codegen/templates/Parser.jj:

http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24257/7/java/calcite-planner/src/main/codegen/templates/Parser.jj@1973
PS7, Line 1973:       <HINT_BEG> AddHint(hints) ( <COMMA> AddHint(hints) )* 
<COMMENT_END>
> Agreed, let's defer it - and the pooling costs less than I assumed. In the
I'm not sure what you mean by "supports table-ref hints natively".  I looked 
through the AST and I see the table is represented by an SqlJoin with an 
SqlIdentifier for the table.

So the information is lost before it gets pushed down to the scan?

But it did give me an idea (and maybe you had this in mind too?) that the 
SqlHint can be more than just the type.  We can include some join information 
on the SqlHint (and extend the class) and this can then be propagated at 
logical RelNode time?

Regardless, I filed a Jira to be handled at a later date: IMPALA-15251


http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24257/7/java/calcite-planner/src/main/codegen/templates/Parser.jj@2094
PS7, Line 2094:             String joinTypeString = (String) 
SqlLiteral.value(joinType);
> Sorry for this.
Yeah, this was just a bad miss on my part.  Thought I had it working for the 
positive and negative tests.  And also missed your extra test.

I applied the code you suggested and it seems to work fine, so thanks tons!

I sometimes don't add tests to Calcite...I'm sometimes random about this.  The 
ultimate goal is to have the full suite of e2e tests do this.  So sometimes I 
avoid putting tests in calcite.test because I feel it will eventually be 
redundant testing.  But I did wind up adding it this time, I think it's worth 
it, so thanks again!



--
To view, visit http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/24257
To unsubscribe, visit http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/settings

Gerrit-Project: Impala-ASF
Gerrit-Branch: master
Gerrit-MessageType: comment
Gerrit-Change-Id: Ie5a932cc09d3d370aa627228d0e226a92fa03168
Gerrit-Change-Number: 24257
Gerrit-PatchSet: 7
Gerrit-Owner: Steve Carlin <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Aleksandr Efimov <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Aman Sinha <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Impala Public Jenkins <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Jason Fehr <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Joe McDonnell <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Michael Smith <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Quanlong Huang <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Steve Carlin <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Xuebin Su <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Comment-Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2026 14:26:47 +0000
Gerrit-HasComments: Yes

Reply via email to