Interesting, would you be willing to share the script? Maybe it can be put
on the website even for those interested :)

Are the resulting RPMS really identical to the RedHat 9 versions? Are
there no compiler tweaks for EL 3 that would make them faster?

Some redhat9 packages do not even run on taroon after rebuilding the SRPM.
I tried to install the Midnight Commander but it just segfaults when I try
to install it? Makes me think that there are severe differences between
RH9 and EL3?