On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 03:29:12PM -0500, Hirsh, Joshua alleged:
> > Don't forget that you have to run this on an actual console, a remote
> > login or X terminal won't work.
>
> Doh. Thanks for the tip. I was running into the same problems ;)
>
> I'll try that over the weekend.

And that's why we send these things to the list :)

For the benefit of the archives, the reason is because buildinstall
runs 'readmap' a bunch of times to load the various keymaps, and readmap
needs to be run from an actual console.

The resulting installer will still run (at least in text mode as US
english), but will spam harmless errors to the screen during the
installation.  I didn't try other languages or a GUI install.

University of Southern California