On 2/27/2012 12:12 PM, John Oliver wrote:
CentOS 5.7, sysklogd 1.4.1-46

I added "-r" to /etc/sysconfig/syslog and restarted the syslog service.
With tcpdump, I can see that other devices are sending traffic to UDP
514, but nothing is showing up in /var/log/messages, which is where
Googling suggests they'll end up without changing /etc/syslogd.conf I'm
not finding any other troubleshooting pointers... by all indications,
it's supposed to "just work" at this point. Any ideas?

No, there is no firewall.

Yes, syslogd is listening on UDP 514

Yes, I know sysklogd sucks and we need to use rsyslog or syslog-ng

Just some thoughts.
1. Some people I know added -r incorrectly like "-mr 0" instead of "-m 0 -r"
2. Some typos when specifying  facility/priority in the syslog.conf

Vu