On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 10:31 AM, R P Herrold <herr...@owlriver.com> wrote:
> ehh?  looks like a conventional cpio / compression mismatch problem so far
> ... rpm emits this error when, for example, it is presented with xz
> compression (which compression was added to SOME rpms during 5's lifespan)

The problem described in the URL really only occurs when *building*
packages, not when *installing* packages.  It isn't even the same
error.  Anyway, if a package coming from RHN was incorrectly
compressed for that platform, then there are even more serious
problems afoot.  I don't believe this is the case.

This kind of 'cpio' error happens exactly as described if you 'chattr
+i /usr/sbin/sshd' and run 'yum reinstall openssh-server'.  It can
also happen if /usr/sbin/sshd is a directory.  I'd be very careful and
check out that file, and I agree the system could be compromised.

--
Jonathan Billings <jsbil...@umich.edu>
College of Engineering - CAEN - Unix and Linux Support